8/3/10

Quilting Thoughts

Just thought I would take a quilting break! I have been going gang busters on a commission quilt...trying to get it finished. There is so much joy for me in getting a quilt finished...also a lot of relief! I am always so happy when I can start removing the basting pins and start making the binding. Piecing and binding are my favorite parts of the whole quilting proces...except for maybe shopping for fabric!! What is your favorite part of the quilting process??

I forgot to mention in yesterday's post about last week's thrift store run. In a previous post, discussing "sewing green", I had listed shopping in thrift stores as a great way to purchase fabric for cheap. Well, last week I found a 100% linen long dress for $4, minus hubby's senior discount of 25% = $3! I am talking about 2 yards of nice linen fabric for $3!!

What is all my excitement about? Linen fabric, even with a discount, costs anywhere from $5/yd to $50/yd. I have several projects which require linen fabric, so this find was like gold to me! So don't forget to check your local thrift stores for great fabric finds, especially for specialty or upscale fabrics that are expensive in the fabric store! For instance, a long women's evening gown made of silk or some other specialty fabric will yield anywhere from 2-5 yds of very nice fabric for a fraction of what it would cost in the fabric store. Most thrift stores offer a senior discount one day a week...don't be shy, just ask for the discount when checking out...you might be pleasantly surprised. Men's shirts, dress, casual or Hawaiian, are excellent to buy at thrift stores....they will generally cost between $2-5 each, but will yield between 1-2 yds of fabric a piece (depending on size...I say get the XL or XXL...same price, more fabric). The fabric can be used in any sewing or quilting project. Save money and sew green! Post your comments about other green sewing tips!

Well, back to the sewing room folks! It's been a nice break!

Happy Sewing and Quilting!

No comments:

Post a Comment