9/23/22

Quilt Patterns

Happy Fall Y'all!

Well, it's still a million degrees outside here in Texas, but for the rest of the country, fall is upon us. We won't get cooler temps until sometime in October and I always look forward to the coolness of fall. This summer has been so very long and hot and I'm so ready for it to be over!

Today, I wanted to discuss quilt patterns and how to source them, if you use them. Some people like to make up their own quilt patterns for unique one-of-a-kind quilts, and I've done that before too. But if you do use quilt patterns, where do you primarily get them from? Do you buy them in quilt shops, on Amazon, or get them for free online or on YouTube? Please comment and let me know where you get your patterns. Inquiring minds want to know.

I've bought quilt patterns and have actually used a couple but many of them sit sadly neglected on a shelf in my sewing room. I've often thought that I should sell them since I don't use them but you just never know!

Years ago, when my oldest daughter graduated college, I bought the Yellow Brick Road quilt pattern and made her that quilt. I will confess that I probably didn't follow the pattern exactly but I think it turned out great. 

Yellow Brick Road Quilt I made for my daughter

I have also watched YouTube and gotten pattern ideas from there. I mean, you have to watch the video like a hundred times (or at least I do), but that works too. I actually made a landscape wall hanging by watching a YouTube video and it looks great, I think. 

My Beach Wallhanging - Pattern from YouTube

I also have an old Fons & Porter beginner's quilt book (it's like the Betty Crocker recipe binder) that has several good patterns as well as quilting tips and tricks. That is my go-to book for quilting and I have used it since I started quilting 20-plus years ago.

There are so many good online sites with free patterns that it almost seems like a waste of money and more costly to buy patterns, and then I think about the people who painstakingly come up and produce quilt patterns and I like to help their businesses too.

Here are some online sites with free patterns in case you are feeling the economic crunch and want to reduce your quilting costs:

National Quilters Circle

The Spruce Crafts

Fat Quarter Shop

Riley Blake Designs

Favecrafts

Bear Creek Quilting Company

Make It - Love It

That's it for today! Let me know where you get your quilt patterns from in the comments. 

Whether you make up your own patterns, buy them, or get them free online Happy Quilting and Sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment